GUIDELINES and SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
for the 6th Annual Fairy Houses Tour at The Corn Hill Arts Festival
Our dates are Saturday, July 14th & Sunday, July 15th 2018.
It’s easy, fun and FREE for families, individuals, and teams to participate.
Entry deadline: July 1, 2018
Enter now to secure your spot at the Fairy Houses Tour!
We will notify you of acceptance within a week and include delivery and pick-up instructions.
We will be holding a place for your fairy house at the event so it is important that you deliver your fairy house on Friday, July 13th between 8 am – 7 pm.
You may bring a right-sized tarp to cover your house in the event of rain (please label). Every effort is made to protect the houses, including security, but rain and wind may cause damage. We are not responsible for any damage or loss.
If you have any problems or questions regarding this form please email us at [email protected]
Guidelines for Houses:
Please note: The Fairy Houses Tour views the houses as a way for children, families, and individuals to share time together, planning, gathering and building all natural houses.
- Use natural materials– dry grasses, leaves, sticks, pebbles, shells, bark from a fallen tree, milkweed pods, acorns, berries, gourds, miniature pumpkins, pinecones – are a few examples.
- All fairy houses must appear to be made entirely of natural components. Hot glue, acrylic spray, natural twine and other man-made items can be used but must be completely concealed by natural elements.
- Platforms or man-made support materials should be used for easier delivery and transport, but must be concealed with natural materials when installed on-site.
- Houses should be tabletop size and portable.Maximum dimensions 3ft wide x 2ft high- strictly enforced. We will accept larger houses but they will not be eligible for prizes as they cannot be easily transported. Please use a sturdy base that can hold up if wet (such as plywood or luan).
- Please do not use any items of value in the house as the Corn Hill Neighbor’s Association, The Corn Hill Arts Festival and the Fairy Houses Tour do not take any responsibility for any loss or damage.
- The theme of the house may be anything you wish. This year we welcome houses that are reminiscent of 1969, the 1st year of the Festival. Our theme is “Let the Sun Shine In” and flower power, lunar landings, and bell-bottoms were all the “thing”. Use your imagination and have fun!
- Award Categories: (Three Awards will be awarded in each category and one “People’s Choice Award”)
- People’s Choice Award (one overall winner voted on by visitors)
- Best Use of Natural Materials
- Most Whimsical
- Group Categories:
- Children 10 years of age and under as of July 8, 2017
- Teams- (Families /Groups /Organizations)
- Your completed house must be brought to The Corn Hill Arts Festival on Friday, July 13th between the hours of 8 am – 7pm (if you need to drop it off earlier or later –please make certain to label your house clearly and leave in the designated drop off area)
- No Fairy Houses will be accepted Saturday or Sunday mornings of the Tour because of street closures
- Please have your Team name/Fairy House Name and contact information (name, email, mobile phone for award winning houses) clearly marked and attached to the house.
- If you are a winner, we will contact you on Sunday July 15thbefore 3pm. as you will NOT be picking your house up.
- Delivery: Enter the Festival grounds from the intersection of Ford St. and Adams St. ONLY!The drop-off area is at the corner of Adams St. and Eagle St. in the Corn Hill Neighborhood and is easily visible and marked. (Google Map address: #97 Adams St. Rochester, NY 14608 for driving directions)
View map here: http://cornhillartsfestival.com/map/
- A representative will be present and you will be directed to set up your Fairy House. (If you drop off earlier or later, please place the Fairy House in the enclosure with contact info)
- Houses not chosen for awards MUST be picked up on Sunday evening, July 15th after 6:30pm or by Monday, July 16th before 5pm. Any houses not picked up will be recycled
- The Festival streets are closed to traffic on Sunday, July 15 until 6:30pm.
- Award winners will be displayed at the Strong, National Museum of Play from July 18th through July 30th, 2018
- Award winners will be given an admission + one guest to the Strong National Museum of Play to view and enjoy the exhibit
- Prize packages can be picked up at the Strong National Museum of Play, Main Ticketing desk before July 30th and contains 4 additional guest passes
- Award-winning Fairy Houses must be picked up between July 31th through August 3rd 2018. Fairy Houses not picked up after this date will be recycled.
Thank you for your participation- please share with others.
People’s Choice Award:
Builder: Destiney Shultz
“Tale as Old as Time”
Best Use of Natural Materials: